Sleep is a vital component of our overall health and well-being, but it’s often neglected. A good night’s sleep is as important to our health as eating well and exercising. As we rest, our body heals damaged cells, boosts our immune system, recovers from the day’s activities, and recharges our heart and cardiovascular system for the next day. However, our lives are busy, and many of us aren’t getting the quality 7-8 hours of rest that our body needs.
Poor, or lack of, sleep is associated with a variety of unhealthy side effects. Sleep deprivation leads us to feeling drowsy, irritable, and sometimes depressed. It also contributes to poor performance in the workplace including struggling to concentrate and make decisions. From putting us at higher risk for diabetes, cardiovascular disease, Alzheimers, impaired memory, anxiety, and poor performance at work, it’s safe to say a good night’s sleep is valuable to our overall health and well-being.
Research has shown that sleep has links to several of our major brain functions, including concentration, productivity, and cognition. Sleep is an active rest period in which a lot of important processing, restoration and strengthening occurs within our bodies.
Implementing regular, healthy sleep habits is a great way to ensure you’re giving yourself the best shot at having a good night’s rest. Good sleep habits include:
- Getting regular exercise and keeping a healthy diet, meals just before bedtime may make it difficult to fall and stay asleep
- Setting a regular sleep schedule; going to bed and waking up at the same time each day
- Limiting caffeine intake to two servings per day and none after noon
- Create regular bedtime rituals, doing the same thing each night before bedtime that calms and relaxes your mind and body so your body knows it’s time to go to sleep. This could include taking a warm bath or shower, reading or listening to music, or having a soothing cup of sleep tea, like our Hemp Sleep tea.
Taken nightly before bed a cup of Hemp Soothing Sleep tea may assist with calming the mind and relaxing the body to promote a peaceful night’s sleep. The Sleep tea is made up with a powerful blend of natural herbs used in traditional medicine such as:
- Chamomile: this herb has a mild sedative effect that is ideal for inducing sleep. It’s also known for lowering stress levels, soothing anxiety and reducing inflammation making it a powerhouse herb that can assist in falling asleep and promoting quality of sleep.
- Lemon Balm Leaf: This herb has also been shown to reduce anxiety as well as encouraging relaxation and promoting a restful sleep. It has also been used to help treat the symptoms of insomnia in people who experience anxiety making it a perfect calming ingredient in a sleepy time tea.
- Lavender: used for centuries in traditional medicine, lavender is known for helping soothe the mind and body. Shown to help improve sleep quality, it can also help to ease anxiety and prevent anxiety related sleep disturbances
Getting enough sleep each day, and incorporating healthy sleep habits is one of the most important things you can do for your health and wellbeing. Incorporating healthy sleep habits to promote a restful night enables us to accomplish the things we want in life. It’s time to start paying attention to our sleep and making sure we are getting the rest we need to stay healthy.