Eggcellent Easter Recipes
Roast Hemp Lamb
Just as easy as counting to three.
- 1 (1kg) boneless lamb shoulder roast, tied with butcher's twine
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped rosemary
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tbsp. hemp seed oil
- Himalayan pink salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 kg baby potatoes, halved if large
- Preheat oven to 230º and place oven rack in the lower third of oven.
- In a small owl, mix together garlic, rosemary, thyme, 1 tbsp hemp oil, 1 tbsp olive oil and season generously with salt & pepper. Leave some oil mixture aside for potatoes. Rub all over lamb.
- In a large baking dish, toss potatoes with remaining oil and season with more salt & pepper.
- Place lamb on top of potatoes and roast until internal temperature reaches 60º roughly 1 hour.
- Let rest for 15 minutes, remove twine, slice roast and serve.
Butternut squash with hemp, garlic & parsley
A yummy nutty dish, perfectly paired with our hemp roast lamb.
- 1kg butternut squash, deseeded and thickly sliced into half moons
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 14g fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1tbsp. hemp seeds
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. hemp seed oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas.
- Put the butternut squash slices in a roasting tray and drizzle over the olive oil. Toss to coat and season with freshly ground black pepper. Roast for 30-40 minutes, until golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, mix together the chopped parsley, garlic, hemp seeds, hemp oil and extra virgin olive oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Transfer the roasted butternut squash to a serving platter. Spoon over the dressing and serve.
Rocket Hemp Seed Salad
Perfect in it's simplicity for fresh greens on the side of your main dish
- 3 tbsp hemp seed oil
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Himalayan pink salt
- 300 grams
- 160 grams rocket lettuce
- Shaved parmesan for garnish
- Make Dressing: in a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, hemp seed oil, lemon juice, hemp seeds and then season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, lightly dress rocket, then top with parmesan.
Hot Hemp Buns
Can't go wrong with hot hemp buns!
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 60 grams (2 ounces) butter, chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) apple or pear juice, at room temperature
- 7 grams sachet dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. finely grated orange rind
- 1/3 cup (55g) dried currants
- 1/3 cup (55g) sultanas
- 5 1/3 cups (800g) bread flour (see tips)
- 2 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 1 tbsp caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) cold water, approximately
- 1 tbsp. caster sugar
- 1 tsp. powdered gelatine
- 1 tbsp. water
- Bring milk to the boil in a small saucepan; remove from heat. Add honey, oil and butter; stir until combined.
- Whisk juice and yeast in a large bowl until dissolved. Add egg and rind, then hemp seeds and sultanas. Add combined flour, cinnamon and salt, then milk mixture; using your hand, mix together until combined. Cover with plastic wrap; stand in a warm place for 30 minutes or until the dough doubles in size.
- Lightly knead dough on a lightly oiled or floured surface for 10 seconds. Return to bowl, cover; stand in a warm place for 1 hour or until risen by half.
- Divide the dough into 16 pieces (each a little over 90g shape into balls. Place in a large square cake pan or baking dish lined with baking paper or greased, in four rows of four. Cover; stand in a warm place for 30 minutes or until risen by half.
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Make flour paste: Combine flour and sugar in a small bowl. Gradually mix in enough water to make a smooth paste. Place flour paste mixture into a small piping bag fitted with a small plain tube. Pipe crosses onto the buns.
- Bake buns for 25 minutes or until buns are browned and sound hollow when tapped. Cool in pan.
- Make glaze: Combine ingredients in a small saucepan; stir over low heat, without boiling, until sugar and gelatine dissolve.
- Transfer buns to a wire rack and brush tops with glaze.